Anthony Rendon hit a double in the top of the first to put the Nationals up 2-0. Alex Bregman answered with a two-run homer in the bottom of the first to tie it up 2-2. Verlander and Strasburg coasted like aces do until the 6th inning. Yuli Gurriel had an amazing AB that he turned into a full count double down the left-field line with two outs. Strasburg then threw two balls to young DH Yordan Alvarez that led to an intentional walk. Fernando Rodney started warming up for the Nationals. Then Carlos Correa worked a full count before popping out on a change-up. Kyle Tucker came in and Strasburg struck him out.
Then, in the top of the 7th, the Nationals exploded. Suzuki got it started with a solo homer..
A K to end it. A HR to start it.
Robles was walked next. Then Pressly came in for Verlander and it got ugly for Houston. Bregman had a play to his right he should have made.. but he didn’t and the Nationals rally started. Kendrick, Cabrera, and Zimmerman all had 2 RBI singles in the 7th. The score was 8-2 and that bottom of the 6th/top of the 7th changed the game. Strasburg 1 – Verlander 0.
Adam Eaton added a 2-run homer for good measure in the 8th. Nationals are leading 2-0 headed back to the Nation’s Capital.
PJ Washington and Devonte Graham balled out. Washington was 7-11 from 3 in his debut. Washington set an NBA record for made 3s in a debut. INJECT IT IN MY VEINS. Charlotte was down 118-108 to the Bulls. They lost all these games last year. 1-0 is awesome. This may be the peak, but I am soaking it in. I was impressed with Devonte Graham’s pick n roll. The guy is an amazing passer. Batum looks slow and old, but the YOUNGSTERS BALLED OUT! Shoutout to Marvin Williams, the 15 year veteran was 5-7 from 3. The Hornets actually won a close game after being terrible in these games over the past two seasons.
Let me start off by saying I love Cam Newton as a Panthers fan. He won a MVP and led the Panthers to the Super Bowl in 2015. When he is healthy, he is my favorite QB to watch in the league. Ideally, Allen would lead the Panthers to wins against the 49ers and Titans. Then Cam would come back and wreck the Redskins and lead the Panthers to another Super Bowl. The ideal result rarely happens with my professional sports’ teams Ex: Kemba and the Hornets. From everything I have read about Cam, he is a hard-worker, great father, and team player. Kyle Allen has said Cam has been helpful since Allen has been starting. I am saying all this to say I will miss him if he is traded, but I think it may be the best move for my favorite NFL franchise and here is why:
- He may never be healthy again. Cam has almost 1,000 designed rushing attempts in his career as a Panther. That does not include his QB hits as a Panther, sacks as a Panther, and all the hits he took while winning the Heisman at Auburn. The Panthers utilized/ran Cam into the ground in the pursuit of a Super Bowl. CMC is seemingly getting that treatment this season. Not saying it is a bad thing, but it is a reality in the NFL. Players wear out quicker when they are used more. Shocking I know. Kyle Allen’s best years are ahead of him. Cam’s are seemingly not.
- David Tepper, the owner of the Panthers, did not draft Cam Newton. Will Grier was drafted in the 3rd round of this year’s draft by the Panthers. Carolina and Tepper already realized Cam was declining in health before his lisfranc injury this preseason that was re-aggravated against the Buccaneers. Cam said he couldn’t run during the first two weeks of this season. The Panthers didn’t draft Will Grier to play this year. Kyle Allen was forced into action because of Cam’s injury and him having more experience than Will. Tepper and Rivera know Cam isn’t going to last forever and that is proven by the Panthers using a 3rd round pick on a QB this offseason. Kyle Allen is 4-0 as a starter and hasn’t thrown an interception. Is that enough to put the franchise in his hands?
- $21.1 million. If Cam Newton is traded before next season, the Panthers will have an extra $21.1 million to spend on other key players like Christian McCaffrey, Shaq Thompson, Gerald McCoy, Mario Addison, and a new TE with Greg Olsen moving to the booth after this season. The “formula” that got the Seahawks (2013 and 2014), Rams (2019), and Panthers (2015) to the Super Bowl was a cheap QB on a rookie contract so you can ball out and splurge on the defense and offensive playmakers. Panthers already have a great defense and playmakers, but signing 1 or 2 more pieces would make them the cream of the crop in the NFL.
- Panthers have been drafting well of late. The Vikings gave up a 1st and a 4th for Sam Bradford not too long ago. The Panthers have hit on almost all of their high draft picks. If Carolina can get some high draft picks for Cam, they would have to consider it.
Now that we know why the Panthers would even think about trading one of their best players in franchise history.. The Panthers have a history of getting rid of franchise cornerstones. Julius Peppers, Steve Smith and more recently, Ryan Kalil and Thomas Davis.
Let’s look at who would want him..
- Da Bears. During his 3rd season, JaMarcus Russell’s YPA was 5.23. He never played in the NFL again after that. That same year (2009), Brady Quinn was at 5.23 YPA. He didn’t throw a pass again until 2012. Mitchell Trubisky is at 5.24 YPA in his 3rd season right now. The Bears are a QB away from making a Super Bowl in many people’s eyes. Mitch could still be a good NFL QB, but he hasn’t shown that this season. Newton could be a 1 to 2 year stop gap for a team with one of the best defenses in football.
- Broncos. I don’t think he is tall or pale enough for John Elway, but Cam would deff make Denver better for the foreseeable future. Even if Cam can’t run, Flacco can’t either.
- Dolphins. Miami are clearly tanking for Tua, but Cam could start over Tua for a year like Alex Smith and Mahomes. The Dolphins have the draft picks to make it happen.
- Redskins. Same as Miami. Haskins is a young QB that could learn a lot playing behind Cam.
- Raiders. Gruden and Carr don’t get along, I don’t care what they said during Hard Knocks. Raiders have the draft picks and Gruden clearly likes to trade.
- Titans. Mariota and Tannehill don’t seem to be the answer for head coach Mike Vrabel. Titans have solid players on both sides of the ball, but lack a QB.
- Teams I forgot.
It is not an easy decision to make. I already listed my ideal scenario as a Panthers fan above. I just think if there is a strong offer for Cam Newton, it could make the Panthers a lot better in 3-5 years to trade him now than keep him.
61-53-2 on NBA in 2017/18 up 9.28 units
30-28-2 on NBA in 2018/19 up 4.16 units
0-0 on NBA in 2019/20
Season Preview and Power Rankings here.
The Raptors beat the Zion-less Pelicans in overtime and the Clippers won the battle of LA against Lebron and AD.
The games were fine. This kid was awesome. I love how he pumpfaked the camera-man by showing a Clippers shirt.. then took it down and put up a “Fight with Freedom, Stand with Hong Kong” shirt. The camera-man did the awkward look away that happens when you’re staring at a cute girl for too long and she catches you. The NBA (or Lakers affiliate) definitely told the camera people to not show these shirts. The first kid dabs. The second kid stands up for Human Rights. What a World. I am watching all NBA games illegally until they stand with freedom and not with China. It is the least I can do. As a Hornets fan.. it shouldn’t be that hard for me to avoid watching Primetime NBA games. But I am still gonna gamble on the games because a degenerate gotta degenerate.
Here is a video of the Hong Kong flag that wasn’t taken down on the TNT broadcast. I have a lot of respect for Daryl Morey, Adam Silver, and Shaq for their views. It seems the NBA is standing with freedom, but they are not all the way there yet. Keep going!
Kings at -120 for 4 units. I had the Kings at 14 in my power rankings and the Suns at 27. That alone is good enough for me to take them at -120. De’Aaron Fox, Buddy Hield, and Marvin Bagley all improved last year. I expect them to continue their upward trajectory. Suns had a lot of preseason injuries.. Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, Mikal Bridges, Tyler Johnson, Oubre Jr, Aron Baynes, and Saric have all missed time over the past 10 days. Kings have more talent, more depth, and more cohesion than the Suns. Call me crazy, but I think the Kings are gonna make the playoffs in the West. The Suns are not, even if they were healthy.
Juan Soto was 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs in the Nationals win in Houston. The Astros tried to come back, but fell a little short. Scherzer struck out 7 and gave up 2 runs over 5 innings in the win. Gerrit Cole receives his first lost since he pitched against the White Sox on May 22nd, 5 months ago. Great Game 1. Strasburg-Verlander Next.